Love for culinary arts is increasing due to the awareness brought by the reality TV shows such as Iron Chef and Masterchef to name a few. There was even a reality TV show featuring the kitchen and how the restaurant kitchen works especially on a busy time. Because of this, people are getting more interested in this field and some are even dreaming of becoming one of the Michelin star chefs because of its prestige and the respect they receive from every chef across the globe.
What is a chef?
If you are one of these interested people who want to be a chef one day, then it is worth knowing the different positions that are available in the industry.
First off, what exactly is a chef? A chef is an individual who specializes in preparing, cooking and presenting food or dish in a very artistic and skilled manner.
Every food should be cooked to perfection such as serving steaks in the perfect temperature, sauces in the right consistency or cakes in the right fluffiness and sweetness.
It is also important to know how to garnish a plate. Serving a plate with a garnish does not mean throwing just about any leaf you can find in the kitchen just to make it aesthetically good. It is important that whatever you put on the plate is edible and is one of the ingredients in the actual food.
- Commis Chef. The initial position any fresh grad or blossoming chefs get into, they are the assistants in the kitchen.
- Pastry Chef. They are the ones who focus on preparing pastries and desserts.
- Saucier. They are the ones who focus on preparing different sauces and are sometimes tasked to cook meats.
- Sous Chef. The second in command and is typically the person who runs the kitchen.
- Executive Chef. He is typically very knowledgeable in almost every aspect of the kitchen and is well versed in making the best sauces there is. Those who have the financial capability to build their own restaurant often land the position of executive chef.
There are some chefs who chose to do their specialty and still be able to manage some free time instead of working in high demanding kitchen. These are the type of people want to get when they want to hire a personal chef.
The private cook cost can be slightly higher when they have good experiences under their belt, but that is definitely a plus for some and would not mind paying very skilled cook. Search engines can be a good place to get information on how to get a private chef.
Please don’t hesitate to post your comments below. It would be our pleasure to help you.